Cheesecake is a beloved dessert, or at least it is one of my favorites. MY grandfather used to make it all the time. To this day I still request cheesecake instead of a traditional birthday cake.
Sour cream is a common ingredient in cheesecake recipes. It is typically used to add moisture and give the cake its creamy consistency. The bite of the sour cream flavor also balances well with the sweet creaminess of the cake.
However, not everyone likes sour cream. Some may not like the flavor, which others may not be able to eat it due to dietary restrictions. That being said, there are plenty of ways to make cheesecake without sour cream. You can have your cheesecake and eat it, too!
Below you will find some excellent examples of cheesecake recipes that do not include sour cream. If we missed any of your favorites, let us know on social media!
4 Cheesecake Recipes Without Sour Cream
Substitutions For Sour Cream In Cheesecake
If you have a cheesecake recipe you like that does have sour cream in it, there are a few ingredients that can be used as a substitute:
- Greek Yogurt
- Heavy Cream
- Creme Fraiche
The substitution of sour cream may change the taste and texture of the cheesecake. Feel free to experiment and see what works best for you.
Tips To Help You Make Cheesecake
- Be mindful of the ingredient’s temperature – Texture is one of the most important parts of making cheesecake. You can avoid having a lumpy cheesecake by not using ingredients that are super cold.
- Use a water bath – Using a water bath for cheesecake is an often-contested idea. However, baking cheesecake can be a fragile process. Using a water bath can help keep everything moist so the cheesecake won’t crack as it cools.
- Let it cool and settle – We know you want to eat your cheesecake as soon as possible. However, it takes a long time for cheesecake to cool and set. We typically let the cheesecake rest for at least 24 hours before removing it from the springform pan.
- Make sure the pan is lubricated – There is nothing worse than destroying a cake because it was stuck in a pan. Make sure you grease the springform pan before use. You can also wrap the pan in aluminum foil.
RELATED: 15 Delicious Foods To Dip In Hummus
Products To Help You Make Cheesecake
- Wilton Excelle Elite Non-Stick Springform Pan, 10-Inch
- Kitchenaid Artisan Mini Plus 3.5-Qt. Tilt-Head Stand Mixer
- Hamilton Beach 6-Speed Electric Hand Mixer
How Do You Make Cheesecake?
We hope you enjoyed our list of cheesecake recipes without sour cream. Do you use sour cream when making cheesecake? Let us know on social media!